1 – 8 oz jar dijon mustard
½ c dry white wine
2 T chopped fresh tarragon
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, lightly pounded
tarragon sprigs for garnish
1. Whisk together mustard, wine & tarragon in large stainless steel bowl.
2. Place chicken in baking dish, season with s&p, coat with marinade, cover & refrigerate 24 hours.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, reserve marinade.
4. Cook chicken on medium hot grill, 6 mins per side (or sauté in heavy skillet).
5. Heat reserved marinade to boiling.
6. Drizzle hot marinade over chicken & garnish with fresh tarragon.
Note: can substitute chicken thighs
2 T butter
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1 c whole milk
1 – 15 oz can chickpeas, with liquid
1 – 15 oz can white beans, drained & rinsed
1 thyme sprig
2 sage leaves
1 bay leaf
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4-6 kale leaves, ribs & stems removed, cut into 1″ strips
Garnishes: shaved parmesan, olive, red pepper flakes, crusty bread
1. Melt the butter in saucepan on med-high.
2. Add garlic, cut side down, cook 1-2 mins to golden brown.
3. Stir in milk, chickpeas, white beans, herbs, nutmeg, s&p.
4. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and add kale.
5. Simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 15 mins.
6. Remove herbs & garlic head, cool garlic & remove soft cloves with fork.
7. Serve beans with shaved parmesan, drizzle of olive oil, pinch of crushed red pepper.
8. Spread crusty bread with soft garlic cloves & serve alongside beans.
Caramel Sauce Makes 1 Cup
1 box high quality brownie mix
Cook according to package directions
1 c sugar
6 T butter
½ c heavy cream
1 t vanilla extract (optional)
1. In heavy bottomed 2-3 quart pan, caramelize sugar on medium high, stir constantly until melted & amber. (Careful gets very hot).
2. Whisk in butter, until melted.
3. Remove from heat & whisk in cream, continue to whisk until smooth.
4. Let cool & then spread on brownies.
Note: can pour into mason jar & refrigerate for other uses.
1 T vegetable oil
1 T sesame oil
1 lg eggplants (about 1 ½ lb), peeled, ¾” strips
1 c onion, medium diced
2 t fresh garlic, minced
2 t fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 t asian garlic chili sauce
2 T fresh lime juice
green onion & fresh cilantro (garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. Combine vegetable & sesame oils. Toss 4 t with cut eggplant & onion, roast on baking sheet until tender, 10-15 min.
3. Sauté garlic & ginger in remaining 2 t oil. Add chili sauce, lime juice & roasted vegetables, season with s&p.
4. Serve hot with green onion & fresh cilantro garnish.
Makes 1 loaf
1 ½ c vegetable oil
2 c sugar
2 ½ c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt
3 c fresh apples, chopped
1 c pecans (optional)
1 t vanilla
1. Blend oil & sugar, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well.
2. Sift dry ingredients together, add to egg mixture.
3. Stir in apples, pecans & vanilla.
4. Pour into greased 10″ loaf pan.
5. Bake at 350F for about an hour.
1 large fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
(15 oz) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
3 celery stalks, very thinly sliced
½ c fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 T fresh lemon juice
4 T olive oil
½ c grated parmesan
1. Toss together fennel, chickpeas, celery, parsley, lemon juice & olive oil.
2. Season with s&p to taste, chill.
3. Before serving sprinkle with grated parmesan.
Makes 1½ cup
½ c dry white wine
2 T shallot, finely chopped
⅓ c heavy cream
¼ t salt
⅛ t white pepper
1 c unsalted butter, sliced, chilled
fresh lemon juice
2 strip bacon, cooked, drained, crumbled
½ c heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered
1. Combine wine & shallots in sauté pan. Bring to boil, reduce, simmer until syrup consistency.
2. Add heavy cream, reduce to sauce consistency, about ½ volume started with.
3. Medium low heat, slowly add butter pieces, whipping constantly.
4. Season to taste with salt, pepper & lemon juice. Add bacon & tomatoes. Serve warm.
Makes 1 cup
1 small watermelon
½ c cider vinegar
1 c sugar
1 cinnamon stick
¼ t fennel seeds
½ t salt
raw bacon slices, cut in ½
1. With vegetable peeler, remove green peel of baby watermelon, cut off white rind, reserve melon for other use.
2. Cut enough white rind into ½”x½”x2″ sticks to make 2 cups.
3. In medium saucepan combine rind, cider vinegar, sugar, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds & salt. Simmer on medium 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
4. Pack into mason jar & refrigerate. Will keep 3 months, refrigerated.
For Yummy Hors D’oeuvres:
5. Wrap a piece of pickle in bacon, secure with toothpick.
7. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes (give or take).
½ c rice wine vinegar
1 T kosher salt
2 T sugar
7 c cooked sushi rice
2 T mayonnaise
2 t fresh chives, finely chopped
2 T powdered wasabi, mixed with 2 T water
1 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T pickled ginger, fine julienne
3 sheets nori, lightly toasted
⅓ c finely diced vegetables, such as cucumber, carrot, red pepper, radishes OR ⅓ – ½ c favorite recipe tuna poke
1. Combine vinegar, salt & sugar; stir into hot, cooked rice. Let cool.
2. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, chives, 2 t wasabi mixture, lemon juice, s&p, 1 T julienne pickled ginger; let stand 10 min.
3. Place toasted nori sheet, shiny side down, on dry work surface; top with 2½ c rice, cover with plastic wrap, level with rolling pin.
4. Remove plastic, brush with wasabi mixture. repeat with remaining nori, rice & wasabi mixture.
5. Trim edges, transfer to a plate. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
6. Slice cake 6×7, yielding 42 approx. one inch cakes.
7. Top each cake with finely diced vegetables OR tuna poke & remaining 1 T julienne pickled ginger.
6 medium golden beets
2 cinnamon sticks
1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced half moons
2 T honey
1/4 c orange juice
zest of one orange
1/2 shallot minced
1/4 c chopped fresh dill
1 t kosher salt
3/4 extra virgin olive oil
1. Coat beets with some olive oil & sprinkle with salt.
2. Place in roasting pan with cinnamon sticks & 2 inches water.
3. Cover & roast at 350°F for two hours, until fork tender.
4. Let cool, people beets & slice into wedges.
5. Whisk together dressing ingredients.
6. Toss beets & sliced radishes in the dressing.
7. Chill & serve.