Author Archive for: ‘smeyer’
6 medium golden beets
2 cinnamon sticks
1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced half moons
2 T honey
1/4 c orange juice
zest of one orange
1/2 shallot minced
1/4 c chopped fresh dill
1 t kosher salt
3/4 extra virgin olive oil
1. Coat beets with some olive oil & sprinkle with salt.
2. Place in roasting pan with cinnamon sticks & 2 inches water.
3. Cover & roast at 350°F for two hours, until fork tender.
4. Let cool, people beets & slice into wedges.
5. Whisk together dressing ingredients.
6. Toss beets & sliced radishes in the dressing.
7. Chill & serve.
2 t salt
1 c fresh or frozen baby peas
4 c penne or cavatappi
3 T olive oil, divided
1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, quarted, drained
2 t fresh garlic, minced
1 c feta cheese, crumbled
2 T fresh parsley, minced
1 T lemon zest
2-3 T fresh lemon juice
⅓ c grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring 1 gal water to boil with salt. Blanch peas 1 minute, shock in ice water, drain well.
2. In same pot, cook pasta al dente. Drain, reserve 1 c pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
3. In large skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over med heat. Sauté artichoke hearts 3-4 min, add garlic, cook 1 min.
4. Add to pasta, along with peas, feta, parsley, lemon zest & juice, remaining olive oil & pinch of salt. Toss to combine, add pasta water as needed to coat. Heat through, serve parm on side.
1 1/2 c butter divided into three 1/2 c portions
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 c yellow onion, medium diced
1/2 T ea fresh garlic & ginger, minced
1/2 T garam masala
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 c heavy cream
3/4 c tomato sauce
1. Brown chicken in first 1/2 c butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Set aside.
2. Sauté onion in second 1/2 c butter for 3 min.
3. Stir in garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, & cayenne. Cook 1 min.
4. Add tomato sauce. Bring to simmer, let cook 5 min.
5. Add cream & browned chicken, with juices, simmer for 10-15 min over low heat.
6. Stir in last 1/2 c butter, s&p to taste.
7. Serve garnished with lime & cilantro, alongside rice & naan.
Makes 8 drinks
1/2 c cranberry juice
1/2 c fresh lime juice
3 c ginger ale or sparkling water, chilled
8 thin strips of lime peel
1. cranberry juice & lime juice, chill.
2. Divide cranberry lime mixture between 8 stemmed glasses, top with ginger ale or sparkling water.
3. Garnish with lime peel.
Note: for adult beverage, can substitute 2 c of vodka & 1 c cointreau or triple sec for the ginger ale
Makes Approx. 24, 2″ biscuits
2 c AP flour
1 t sugar
1 T baking powder
8 T cold butter, cubed
3/4 c milk
1/3 c pimentos, drained, diced
1 1/2 C sharp cheddar, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.
3. Cut in butter until pea size.
4. Add pimentos & cheese.
5. Make a well, slowly add milk.
6. Knead dough with fingers, add more milk if needed.
7. Roll & cut desired size.
8. Bake 8-12 minutes, until golden.
9. Brush with melted butter, serve warm.
8 oz oreos
2 T rum
1 3/4 c Confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 c orange juice
6 oz chocolate chips, melted
1 c pecans, finely chopped
1 c confectioners sugar
2 T rum, more or less
1. Crush cookies into fine crumbs
2. Blend sugar, liquids, melted chocolate
3. Stir in cookie crumbs & pecans
4. Chill dough until stiff, about 1 hr
5. Form into 1″ balls & chill
6. Dip into glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa
3 T canola oil
1 c unpopped popcorn
1 c dry roasted cashews
1 c sugar
1 1/3 c maple syrup
1/4 c butter
1 t cayenne pepper
1. Pop corn in canola oil, stir in cashews
2. Combine remaining ingredients, bring to boil
3. Cook 1 min, stir constantly, remove from heat
4. Pour hot mixture over popcorn & cashews, toss to coat
5. Immediately spread mixture in jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper
6. Cool & serve
Makes 6 1/2 cup portions
1 1/2 c red apple, 1/2″ dice
1/3 c small carrot, thinly sliced half moons
1 green onion, thinly sliced on bias
3/4 c canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1/2 c shelled edamame, thawed
1/3 c packed fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c favorite vinaigrette (recommend lemon)
1. Combine apple, carrot, onion, chickpeas, edamame & parsley
2. Add vinaigrette, toss well to coat
12 ea whole eggs, hard cooked, cooled, peeled, sliced lengthwise
1/3 c good quality mayonnaise
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t tabasco sauce
3 sliced bacon, cooked, cooled, cut into small pieces
6 grapes tomatoes, sliced into 4 small pieces
24 small basil or arugula leaves
1. Remove yolks of eggs to medium bowl, arrange whites on platter, mash yolks with a fork
2. Add mayonnaise through tobasco to yolks & mix until smooth
3. Fill each egg half with yolk mixture, top each with bacon piece, tomato slice & basil/arugula
Approx. 8, 1oz soup shots
4 c seedless watermelon, chopped
1 c cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 c ea red onion, roughly chopped
1/4 c roughly chopped fresh mint
3 T fresh lime juice
2 T red wine vinegar
1/4 t salt
1 c seedless watermelon, diced 1/4″
1. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT final 1 c of finely diced watermelon
2. Purée using immersion blender or standard blender
3. Chill for several hours
4. Garnish with finely diced watermelon just before serving